Wednesday 17 April 2013

O is for Old Bottles


I am a collector of old bottles which once may have contained perfume, medicine, ink or fruit juice  and made from clear, green, blue or amber glass.  I began collecting them many years ago after finding my first bottle in an antique shop in Whitby.

Recently I learnt the reason for the medicine bottles being strange shapes with the word poison in raised letters.  This was because in the olden days before houses had lighting,  a bottle containing poison may have been picked up in error, thinking it contained water or another substance.

 
 


5 comments:

  1. I had no idea!! I've always wondered what was the reason behind so much variety. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old bottles. We have a collection of small blue ones in our downstairs loo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for visiting my blog
    I too love old bottles, they make great vases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Used to collect those miniature perfume bottles. There were times (and I still do sometimes) I pick up perfumes depending on how nice the bottle was!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great fact, L. That's an additional learning for me today. Anyway, it's nice to see that you have lots of collection of fine bottles. I've been collecting antique bottles particularly medicine bottles because their unique shapes and forms.

    Salvatore Nibert @ DABrico.com

    ReplyDelete

Prisons and prisoners

  Fortunately I’ve never been in prison and furthermore hope I never will. However, I have recently seen and read about this topic and it h...