Friday 26 April 2013

W is for Writing


I have always been an avid reader.  Retiring after a long career as a high school teacher, I began to write in 2012.  I have had many short stories and travel articles published on line and on local radio. I also have a novel on the go.  I wonder if I will still be saying that next year! 

I have found the writing fraternity, like the gardening fraternity, generous to a fault with their encouragement and advice.

The  Write1Sub1 challenge has been a great motivator.  Last year I went for the monthly challenge and this year I have gone with the weekly one, although it’s a struggle.

Other sources of inspiration are a monthly local writing group and helping to produce a programme for a radio station is another source of inspiration.   There are a host of bloggers featured on my blog who keep me going with their tips and news of competitions (Patsy Collins http://patsy-collins.blogspot.co.uk to name but one )and the facebook page Writers’ Office.

My friends and family spur me on but don’t always respect the slots in the day I choose two write.  If I’m at the dentist our having my hair done, they know I’m not available, but if I am ‘just writing’ they consider me fair game to devote  my time.  That sounds as if I don’t want to lunch/shop/go for a walk/spend time with them!
 

 

3 comments:

  1. I popped in at just the 'write' time. Congratulations on all your success. And I agree, Patsy is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean by people thinking if you're writing you're doing nothing.Good luck with your book.
    Is Anyone There

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if your family members aren't writers themselves, it's harder for them to understand the needs of a writer.

    Congrats on completing a-z. :)

    ReplyDelete

Easter break

It wasn’t to be. To get away from the crowds on Easter Sunday, we embarked on the Hutton circular walk which I found on the Facebook page S...