Tuesday 25 January 2011

very early signs of spring


Thought the film The King's Speech was excellently cast and acted.  I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it although some friends thought it too slow.

Monthly bolbie club came round again; surely a month can't go that quickly.

Had a few sessions of work.  Still can't get over finishing on time and going home without a load of marking and preparation.  Went on to Crown Point Shopping Park and the sun came out making the temperature above zero.  People were immediately evident coatless, wearing T shirts yet not cringing from the cold.  I wouldn't go that far but I did remove my hat!  On of the plant troughs sported a polyanthus in flower and  a purple viola has opened in a plant on my front step.  Surely a very early sign of Spring.

Did some voluntary work with another retired teacher.  We both agreed that retirement suits us.

Took my Auntie to see her friend on her100th birthday.  It was lovely weather and I was dressed ready for gardening.  When we arrived we found that they had arranged a surprise party.  As well as the birthday girl's nephew and nieces, the local councillor, the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress of Leeds plus the Lady Mayoress of Manchester were there.  It was too warm with my coat on and my Auntie dragged me into all the photos (not this one) wearing my gardening gear.

It was Ronnie's birthday this week and Louis surprised us by singing Happy Birthday in Ivrit.

It has been an expensive week with little to show for it.  Had my computer looked at and now it runs much better and had a new fuse box fixed as messing about with fuse wire isn't easy.

I can recommend the charity shops in Ilkley.  We bough a huge chinese vase (could be Ming, but can't read the chinese) and games of Draughts and Stacking Chairs.




 Cafe in Valley Gardens
   Went to Valley Gardens in Harrogate.  Some people were sailing remote controlled boats in the pool which was still icy in parts.  Titanic came to mind.  A little speedboat was grounded on the ice and someone sent their larger craft to the rescue.  Boys and their toys!  The kids cycled and 'scooted' as they call it and enjoyed themselves on the well equipped playground which even has a zip wire.  


Then to Ripley Castle tea rooms for Omelette and Chips.


Had my nails done for first time for ages.  Full of cold so been at home for a couple of days.  Not a pretty sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Easter break

It wasn’t to be. To get away from the crowds on Easter Sunday, we embarked on the Hutton circular walk which I found on the Facebook page S...