Saturday 22 February 2020

Six on Saturday

The weather doesn’t entice us to spend time in the garden but, even through the window, we can see signs of Spring. 
I didn't venture far from the house to snap these six.
 1. Erysimum Bowles's Mauve, the perennial wallflower which is a good doer as it flowers most of the year.  I would like the orange one too although I understand it doesn't do as well.  It is important to keep taking cuttings before it gets woody


2.  I haven't had the heart to plant out this polyanthus in this weather

 
3.  The Crocuses are not standing up to the windy weather too well
 4.  Euonymus brightens up a corner on a grey day 

 
5.  I could only buy packs of  mixed colours of wallflowers, but I seem to have managed to fill this pot with the same colour of what looks like dark red.
6.  We've had a frenzy of frogs in the pond with up to twelve of them doing what they do at this time of the year.

The Propagator generously hosts Six on Saturday.  Click on the link to his blog to see what he and his followers are growing and doing in their gardens this week.  Perhaps you feel you could add your own six too.

8 comments:

  1. That seems rather early for frogs mating, doesn't it? But with relative mild winters, many animals and plants start their spring business early.
    In OK's tiny strip of front garden, the pretty small yellow narcisses are already in bloom. In other gardens and along paths around the orchards and vineyards, we have seen an abundance of snowdrops, hellebores and crocus - so beautiful to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frogs seem to mate earlier each year. The early spring bulbs bring with them the promise of warmer weather (one would hope) and lighter nights

      Delete
  2. 'Bowles Mauve' never seems to be out of flower but doesn't seem to make it to Six on Saturday often. Mine seem to have flowered themselves to death. I've got some cuttings coming along in the greenhouse to replace them. I've not got the orange one, but there are some pretty peachy ones that I'd like to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have a look for peachy coloured ones

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful polyanthus! Do you get many baby frogs or do they get scooped up as food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year we had relatively few baby frogs but usually we have loads, much to the delight of the grandchildren but problematic when mowing the lawn.

      Delete
  4. I love Bowles Mauve. It flowers for such an extended period of time and is very hardy even in our hot, dry conditions. I like that it grows so easily from cuttings too.

    ReplyDelete

Prisons and prisoners

  Fortunately I’ve never been in prison and furthermore hope I never will. However, I have recently seen and read about this topic and it h...