Monday 31 December 2018

Goodbye 2018; a short review of the year



Reading and Writing
Joined a book club and, whilst not inspired by all recommended, I did enjoy Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman, The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult and The Blood Of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani.  At the moment I am loving Life after Life by Kate Atkinson and look forward to reading the follow up, A god in Ruins.

My writing hasn’t been wonderful this year, both in output and content but I joined an online writing group and the challenges and feedback has provided the motivation needed.  I did co-write at radio play for the local Writing on Air festival.
 
Visits
Having exchanged our RHS membership for National Trust, we have visited some new places of interest.  Details of these and other destinations visited have been described in earlier blog posts.  
 The glorious summer enhanced the time we spent at the Yorkshire coast and in my capacity of judge for Yorkshire in Bloom allowed me to discover some beautiful, hidden spots.

 


 



Family and Friends
We’ve celebrated many milestones from 1st to 99th birthdays and many big ones in between, my grandson’s Bar Mitzvah and a couple of Golden Weddings plus we managed a whole family holiday in the summer.
Having an extensive family and many close friends is a blessing but the downside is that we have lost quite a few this year.
My nephew presented a programme on BBC about my maternal grandmother’s journey from Vashilishok with yours truly having a small speaking role.  Entitled A Very British History; The Jews of Leeds aired on BBC1 Yorkshire and will be shown on BBC4 in early 2019.



 Also, saw James Taylor live.

 Looking forward to hearing what you’ve been up to this year and wishing you good health and happiness in 2019


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty good year. I hope 2019 is even better.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very "full" year for you it was!
    I've read both books by Kate Atkinson you have mentioned, and have reviewed them on my blog. Will you post reviews of them, too? I'd like to compare notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finishing the first but I will review on your blog

    ReplyDelete

Prisons and prisoners

  Fortunately I’ve never been in prison and furthermore hope I never will. However, I have recently seen and read about this topic and it h...