Thursday 23 January 2014

How’s your year been so far?


January seems to be flying by.  The weather has been kind to us in our region and, while snowdrops are peeping out, some flowers have managed to hang on through the winter so far.  I don’t want to be too complacent, as winter proper didn’t start until early spring and continue until early summer!  


 beautiful Yorkshire this week

 Cow and Calf rocks at Ilkley this week

I have eaten out more this month than in the previous three.  Enjoyable it may be, but not good for the figure.  Tried out a recently opened local cafe or, as they call it, a Victorian tearoom.  Great scones served with jam and cream.  Named Mrs Gale's after the owner's wife who died from cancer, a percentage of the profits will go to cancer research.
Read:  Jeanette Winterson’s autobiography Why be happy when you could be normal?  I had already read Oranges are not the only fruit a long time ago and it was interesting to compare the fiction with the non-fiction.

Written:  I have had two short stories accepted (and two rejected) so far this year and read out a piece of non-fiction on Village Greens on local radio.



Seen:  American Hustle.  This film has received mixed comments but I thought was well acted and I didn’t second guess the outcome.   I have a few more on my list to see.   What can you?

New experience:  Taught some primary school children how to make bread at the Jewish Heritage Centre.  
 Challah

 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the link to the radio programme - it was nice hearing your voice; you are one of very few fellow bloggers whose voice I ever had the chance of hearing!
    Lovely pictures of beautiful sunny Yorkshire in January, and an interesting summary of the month so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love Yorkshire and it is lovely to see your pictures. Nice to hear you on the radio too - it really got me thinking about our green and so many happy times and events there x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm appreciating the mild weather and ignoring the possibility of another spring like last year's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the acceptances. Don't mention the clement weather! If we keep really quiet maybe we won't get that snow and ice that they're promising us! You've been teaching kids challah baking. Brilliant. I'd love to learn. Can I come along? Or am I too old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're never too old to learn, Rosalind!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading "The Meeting." What a challenge, to fit a story into 100 words! But you managed to pack a punch in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Linda, what lovely pictures! I especially appreciated the one of the Cow and calf rocks. Made me want to be right THERE. Something about the scenery really draws me. How did the bread baking go? I love Challah and was very blessed to learn how to bake it by a friend's lovely Jewish mom when I was in college--lessons (about more than just bread) I've never forgotten.

    Wishing you a marvelous writing and submitting month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the story acceptances!

    Haven't seen "American Hustle" yet - so many movies I want to see - but will probably end up waiting for DVD.

    Stopping by from W1S1 - good luck with your February writing and subbing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The idea of eating out for charity is catching on. Around here a group of restaurants have got together and are donating a percentage of profit to charity for every meal. It really is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, eating out for charity. Had a look at your blog and saw the beautiful additions to your family. Hope all are doing well.

      Delete

Prisons and prisoners

  Fortunately I’ve never been in prison and furthermore hope I never will. However, I have recently seen and read about this topic and it h...