Thursday 7 February 2013

Snowdrops and Snippets

 

Alpine Meadows
Angela Hanson gave a wonderful, illustrated talk to our gardening club on Alpine Meadows.  These are the upland pastures where the cattle are taken in the summer to graze, leaving the lower areas for the winter.  These meadows are home to a wide variety of flora and fauna; gentians, cowslips, orchids, golden hawksbeard, mulleins and yellowrattles.  Many of the flowers are hairy to keep them warm.  The skiing industry has left its toll, but now these meadows are recognised as important areas to be preserved.

It reminded me of my favourite story; Heidi.

Launch of The Chapel

The local writing group and radio station with which I am involved has received a huge grant to restore the old chapel which serves as their base.  It is a beautiful building with polished, wooden pews, an organ and a balcony held up by ornamental pillars.  The acoustics are amazing, allowing recitals without the need for a microphone.  The Lord Mayor attended and we heard poetry, songs and prose.  It will be a couple of years before the work is complete, but Rome wasn't built in a day!





Healthy Writers Club



Some voluntary gardening afforded strenuous exercise, managed a bit at home and Pilates.  I am also doing the 5:2 diet, where 2 days are on reduced calories leaving you to eat what you want for the rest of the week.  It suits me as you can pick your days and because you have been so careful of those days, you don't want to undo the good work on the normal days.

Someone I was at primary school with sent me this picture of when I was nine.  The lollipop lady was crossing us the road, a dual carriageway.  I was, and am, smaller than my classmates.  I am behind the  pole.  These were the days when you walked to school without parents.
 
 
Story Published on CafeLit

 
http://www.cafelit.co.uk/TheColleagueWhoCameToStay3.html



Flower arranging

The theme this month was Spring Treasures

9 comments:

  1. Love those tulips.

    Congratulations on your story publication - I'm off to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read it! Very good - made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the story pub! Your pictures are always beautiful, and it sounds like you've got some really fun activities going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pοst. I wаѕ checkіng сontinuοusly this blоg and І
    am impгessed! Very helpful information
    ѕpecifiсally the last paгt :) I cаrе for suсh
    information much. I ωas looking for this certаin infο
    foг a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    my blog poѕt ... twitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is lovely. I saw a really nice arrangement in the Waitrose magazine. An Easter egg tree using catkins. I might just have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story Linda. It felt so real. I hope it wasn't based on a real life experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on a real colleague, but she didn't stay with me!

      Delete
    2. *laughs* I thought it had a ring of truth. I like how you've transformed your observation into story.

      Delete

Prisons and prisoners

  Fortunately I’ve never been in prison and furthermore hope I never will. However, I have recently seen and read about this topic and it h...